Paper Boats Book Club Questions
Choose Paper Boats by Erndell Scott as the next book for your book club to read! Here are some questions to help get the conversation going. You can always reach out to me, Erndell Scott, on Goodreads with any questions that you have for me.
- Paper Boats is not your typical war story – thus, were you drawn into it immediately, or did it take you a while? What are your thoughts on the theatrical, drama embellished nature of the book?
- Which characters did you admire most? Were there characters that you disliked? What did you like or dislike about them?
- If you were a character in Paper Boats, who would you be?
- Which character would you like to meet in person? What would you say to them?
- How did Otto and Joseph's relationship change or grow during their journey?
- What do you think it would be like to live in Post-World War 2 Germany? Would you have reacted to the events the same as Otto? What would you have done differently?
- Given the time period and events that take place, did you find Otto's character convincing? Is his character compelling?
- What role does acceptance play in Paper Boats? How is acceptance different than tolerance?
- How did the book end for you, were you surprised or did you predict the ending? What questions or themes were left unresolved?
- If you could ask the author any question, what would it be?